Thursday, June 28, 2007

Are we out of control?

The fastest growing group in our population are the people that can't deal... with life. Have you noticed this? Maybe I notice because on a daily basis, at work, I deal with hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people. The general public has been completely ridiculous for years, but the trend is worsening. Everyday, I see poeple that have a meltdown over the simplist things. I had a customer tell me yesterday that if her family couldn’t all sit together she was going to throw a tantrum. They were in seats 17A&B and 18A&B. Really? A tantrum? The flight was going to San Diego. That's 2 hours and you will all be sitting within 3 feet of each other. This is not good enough? I see people act this way everyday. People are getting more and more unrealistic. I remember when it was rare to have a freak customer like this tantrum threatening women. Now, it happens daily if not multiple times daily. The anxiety level at the airport has never been higher. I mean that. People were not even this anxious right after 9/11. People are out of control.

I see it in my friends too. This week alone two friends of mine confessed that they are taking medication for anxiety. Can you imagine what this world is going to be like when the population is double of that today. You want to talk about anxiety? You haven't seen nothing yet. I have anxiety. Don't we all? Do I need to be on meds for my anxiety? I have always thought that that feeling was natural. The situations where I feel anxious are the situations that I think I should feel anxious. I wonder what the world would be like if everyone was on zoloft, just for one day. Is it getting harder for people to deal with life? Is this uniquely American? I think our lives are all too complex, too fast, too scheduled. I think we all need to stop and breathe. Just STOP! now BREATHE. Everything is going to be OK.

No comments: