Thursday, March 05, 2009

Greetings from the DMZ

I saw North Korea today. Angi and I took a tour of the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone.) The DMZ is, of course, the buffer between North and South Korea where the truce is held. Unfortunately, the tour that we wanted to go on, which included a chance to actually stand in North Korea for a minute or two, was not available because of some sort of state function that was occurring. We did however get to stand on a hill look through a binoculars and spy into North Korea. It was a very hazy day so all we would really make out was the ginormous flag pole complete with a 300lbs North Korean Flag. Yes, the bitch weighs 300 pounds. Could you imagine trying to raise that thing. The whole tour took all morning. I had no idea that Seoul was so close to the border of North Korea, but the distance is only about 40 miles. We met three other people from Denver on the tour, There were 9 of us on the tour, and one of the guys live at 4th and Pennsylvania... what so 6 blocks away. Small world!

Well I haven't blogged since Vietnam. We left on the red eye Asiana flight to Seoul. Their service is outstanding! We were treated like we were in first class and we were not. They served a full meal and it was really quite good. It was probably the best service I have ever had in couch in my entire life. I am VERY impressed with Asiana.

We arrived in Seoul at 5am Wednesday morning. Incheon Airport was dead. We found our way to the train to the city. We were the only ones in our train car. We took the train to Gimpo Airport and connected to the mainline Seoul metro system. It was starting to get busy as rush hour was starting but we thought we could make it to our hotel before it got too hectic. We were sorely mistaken. I have experienced some of the worlds busiest subway systems, but nothing was like this... NOTHING! The car would be full and I mean packed and some how at every stop another 10 people would cram themselves into the car. Mind you... we each had luggage with us. There was a while there where I wasn't holding onto anything. I was just smashed in there. The train would accelerate I would feel like I was going to lose my balance but there was no where to go so I wouldn't. It was awful and I hope to never experience that again. From the time the plane landed to the time we checked into our hotel was almost 4 hours. Our hotel is beautiful. It was another priceline name your price thing. Thank you Matt! $70 for a 4 star in Seoul. It is heavenly after the hotels we stayed at in Vietnam. Each of our beds has 4 pillows. After we checked in we crashed and took a nap.

We woke up around 4pm and decided to go find something to eat. With the blessing of Lonely Planet and our hotel concierge we headed for Gogung (Restaurant). This is where we learned the most important lesson about Seoul. Are you ready for this shit!? They do not use street names nor have addresses. "Use landmarks" is the sage advice of the Lonely Planet folks. This is what the book says Um, what!? The book continues So, now you are wondering how these people find anything anywhere. Every time they don't know where something is they call for directions. Every time Angi and I have asked where a certain something is a phone call for directions is made. Very strange indeed! We found the restaurant. It was very good. I had Bibimbap. The Koreans love there side dishes, so we order, and here comes about 7 side dishes. We had a regular ole feast at hand. Tomorrow we are going out for Korean Barbecue.

So far, Seoul is a nice contradiction to Vietnam. I think we both had a bit too much time in the city. We should have gone to the country to truly enjoy Vietnam, but I will go back. Angi says she will not. Seoul is modern, clean and oddly Korean. The Vietnamese were always willing to walk right up to you and become your best friend, and this is when the sales pitch would start. The Koreans won't make eye contact, but when they talk to you are the most pleasant people around. I am glad we are here. Tomorrow is the last day of our trip.. I think. There is some talk of going on to Singapore, but I bet that won't go anywhere.

No comments: